Director of Implementation
Center for Secure and Modern Elections
Position Title: Director of Implementation
Location: Seattle preferred, Washington DC or remote officing a potential option
Reports to: Deputy Director
Status: Full time, exempt
Salary Range: Available upon request
The Center for Secure and Modern Elections (a New Venture Fund Project) is hiring a Director of Implementation who will be responsible for supporting state-level efforts to implement modernization processes in state voter registration systems. The successful candidate will join our small team of campaign strategists and policy experts and oversee an outfit of implementation coordinators and policy experts.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Oversee and coordinate work to implement policies to maximize registration rates of eligible voters, minimize errors, maximize efficiency, and generally ensure elections are more accessible in the United States;
- Work with agencies and election directors implementing policies to develop quantitative and qualitative information to allow for ongoing improvement and lessons in future policy development;
- Manage staff and consultants responsible for providing technical expertise, developing agreement among key advocates and public officials, and ensuring broad engagement and support among stakeholders, and discrete pieces of work, such as individuals lobbying state agencies or assessing methods for improving registration at those agencies;
- Ensure the development and execution of implementation plans in states as assigned; draft and manage a national implementation plan in coordination with CSME’s Deputy Director.
- Identify potential problems and work with key state and national stakeholders to develop and execute solutions that positive impact;
- Identify administrative opportunities to improve systems and achieve CSME’s policy goals and collaborate with the Campaign Lead for that state to ensure the campaign can achieve the administrative solution.
- Coordinate and provide ongoing support to CSME teams, including campaigns, defense, and policy teams;
- Work with New Venture Fund to ensure compliance for all implementation operations activities.
- Build and manage the implementation budget in close collaboration with CSME’s Director and Deputy Director.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- An energetic and enthusiastic person dedicated to democracy and the right to vote with a Deep commitment to voter access, social justice, and tangible progress;
- Cultural competency and comfort working with individuals with a diverse array of
backgrounds and experience;
- Skilled project manager with the ability to maintain the sense of true north, coordinate shared decision making, ability to work quickly under pressure and with a decentralized team, identify and respond to problems quickly, and maintain workflow and control in multiple states with a variety of components simultaneously;
- Comfort managing items including technology and secure data transfer, language and disability access, user-interface design, program impact analysis, public relations, state and federal law and regulation, and compliance with lobbying rules in multiple states;
- Strong political instincts with an ability to speak on message about the goals and objectives for implementation in a state;
- Ability to quickly build relationships with state partner organizations, consultants, and administrators;
- Attention to detail and ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience managing a budget, staff, and contractors preferred;
- Three cycles or more of experience on candidate or issue campaigns with one cycle in a director-level position;
- Experience using data and analytics to inform program choices;
- Experience working with state governments, state agencies with client-facing systems, and understanding of rulemaking processes preferred.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Berenice Murguia, Operations Coordinator, at email@example.com with the position in the subject line.