Center for Secure and Modern Elections
Position: Policy Analyst
Reports to: Chief Counsel
Location: Seattle, WA or Washington DC
Status: Full Time
Salary range: Available upon request
The Center for Secure and Modern Election builds and supports state campaigns to pass voter registration modernization. We believe that to strengthen America’s democracy, states across the political spectrum urgently need to modernize systems so that all eligible Americans can have their voices heard. The Center for Secure and Modern Elections provides resources, staffing, and strategic oversight to execute state-based campaigns working to pass reforms in their legislature or on the ballot.
The Center for Secure and Modern Elections, or CSME, is hiring a full-time Policy Analyst. The ideal candidate will possess a knowledge of and experience with election administration or voting policy, experience with statistical analysis, and experience working with election officials, agency officials, or other state- or local-level bureaucracy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Conduct close analysis and review of policy and legislation proposed or introduced in states
- Participate in the drafting and revision of model policies and bills
- Develop fact sheets, reports, and memoranda on pro-voter policy issues based on the conducted research
- Monitor and manage data surrounding the implementation and impact of the pro-voter policies the organization achieves
- Present key findings on legislation and conduct research briefings to key partners and allies
- Advise state partners around policy development on key voting issues, as directed
- Draft explainer one-pagers that help lawmakers grasp key concepts around proposed pro-voter legislation
- Conduct research on a wide array of structural changes that could help historically under-represented constituencies have better access to public life.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and perform simple analysis of data sets
- Strong understanding of how the precise shape of policy affect the outcomes of that policy
- 1-4 years of experience in policy analysis
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Berenice Murguia, Operations Coordinator, at email@example.com with the position in the subject line.